Sunday 29 October 2017

   Chef: Mpho Thabang Mokoena


Mpho means gift in seSotho and that is exactly what he is to the culinary world. We fell in love with his creative and beautifully crafted dishes on Instagram. His friends are part of his lucky guinea pigs who he tests some of his mouth watering dishes on. He is strongly recommended.We caught up with the gift to foodies and this is what he had to say.

"If you are a chef, no matter how good a chef you are, it's not good cooking for yourself; the joy is in cooking for others - it's the same with music."-will.i.am
What made you pursue this profession:
It’s always been a monkey on my shoulders. I pursued rugby and hospitality managements as a career but being a chef took over.. putting colour and flavours is an art form for me.
What do you enjoy most about cooking:
 Learning new ways to deliver and presents ingredients.
The best restaurant or kitchen you've worked at:
JW Marriott London UK. It has almost 4/5 kitchens all with different themes and duties i learnt a lot the resturant.
Tell me about your family:
My family is my rock, chief tasters for my food..but most importantly my cheerleaders in life.

Where did you grow up:
Nelspruit,Mpumalanga.
 The places you have been to:
Been all over SA, would still like to try Heading all over Africa. But if there’s a place to fish, hike and beautiful scenery I’m there.
One of your many fondest memories:
Being Dad for the first time.. I remember thinking.. that’s the best dish I’ve created.
What is your daily routine like:
Wake up, feed my pitt bulls,check my emails.. meet potential clients end the day with exercise.. my day is never the same but those are items that are always on...If there’s is no meeting I try new recipes ,product or techniques.
Your 5 favourite dishes :
I don’t have a favorite dish to be honest I enjoy everything and anything. I enjoy trying new things
How can people get you to cook for them at their events and in the comfort of their homes:
They can email or call me at Mokoena@gmail..com or 0606962717.
Your insta handle is where we first fell in love with your food. Where can our viewers go to follow you:
@chefMokoena
Where are you cooking now:
I am a Private chef.
Mmmh interesting sounds yummy, what does a private chef do:
It means I'm not cooking at a specific restaurant or place. I get calls from clients who book me for my services. I cook for clients, at their private residence or locations of choice.
What do you have to study to become a chef:
Culinary Arts..Food and Beverage.. any culinary diploma. Your stripes are earned in the kitchen though. You move up the ranks based on your ability and your contribution to the line not the power of your diploma.
Where did you study:
MRTT And TUT Mbombela, Mpumalanga.

Thank you for your time:
It's only a pleasure.

Ladies and gentlemen please stay tuned for more on Chef Mokoena, as we will be continuing with him on this journey of growth and rise from stride to stride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment