Monday 9 August 2021

Celebrities on Being Rich But Not Happy + Giving Advice

"Inner peace is the ultimate source of happiness and joy fulness"-Dalai Lama

So is it possible to be rich, successful and famous but still be miserable and unhappy? Does not make sense to some of us who do not feel like we are rich, successful and famous. Apparently not everything that glitters is gold. But not to say that all rich, successful and famous people are unhappy and miserable, the moral of the story is, don't think that just because you can be rich, successful and rich means that you will be happy. The moral is these things don't guarantee happiness or inner peace.

Imagine having millions in your bank account but no sleep. It makes sense because in order for you to have millions and keep them you have to constantly think. Just like being successful, you have to constantly be thinking and your brain never shuts off. This is by no means a way to deter you from wanting to be rich, successful or famous, it is however an insight into the reality that all those concepts do not guarantee you that you will be happy.

Personally, a lot of what J Cole said in the video resonates with me. When I finally got my degree, completed my articles, passed my board exams and opened my own practice, the happiness wasn't really there. I had sacrificed so many relationships and even myself so much trying to be successful but still I realised that, it does not make me happy. There are some things that money cannot buy and even when you start to make it, you are not satisfied with it because you realize that it's not worth certain decisions and parts of yourself that you lost along the way. In Shor, you cannot buy them or bring them back. 

The pursuit of happiness is a never ending challenge that we all seek to achieve. We all want to be happy with ourselves and that is a journey that we all take when we open our eyes in the morning. When we find it in some things or some people then we want to hold on to those things and those people. But things get old and you lose some, you also lose some people. So don't it make sense that you find happiness within yourself outside of "things"? . 

It took me coming to terms with the fact that a degree, admission or law firm would not make me happy, to set myself free. It dawned on me that I have to make myself happy by doing what makes me happy and makes me feel good. I learned not to tie my happiness to things, people but to my inner peace. Happiness started being, going to sleep as soon as my head touched the pillow. Happiness became opening my eyes in the morning and having another opportunity to find moments that will make me happy that day. Happiness is being content and grateful for who I am, how far I've come and all that I have overcome. Happiness became forgiving myself for all the things I did to try and make others happy and proud whilst betraying myself. Happiness is now saying no when I don't want to something and not feeling bad about it. Happiness is avoiding certain people who don't make me feel good and not having a care in the world what they think. 

There is a powerful and poignant story that puts the above conversation into perspective : 

On his death bed, Alexander the Great summoned his generals and told them his three ultimate wishes:

The best doctors should carry his coffin;
The wealth he has accumulated (money, gold, precious stones etc.) should be scattered along the procession to the cemetery; and
His hands should be let loose, hanging outside the coffin for all to see!
One of his generals, who was surprised by these unusual requests, asked Alexander to explain.

Here is what Alexander the Great had to say:

1. I want the best doctors to carry my coffin to demonstrate that, in the face of death, even the best doctors in the world have no power to heal.

2. I want the road to be covered with my treasure so that everybody sees that material wealth acquired on earth, stays on earth.

3. I want my hands to swing in the wind, so that people understand that we come to this world empty handed and we leave this world empty handed after the most precious treasure of all is exhausted, and that is TIME.

4. We do not take to our grave any material wealth, although our good deeds can be our travelers’ cheques. TIME is our most precious treasure because it is LIMITED. We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.

5. When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never take back. Our time is our life!

6. So my dear, the best present that you can give to your family and friends, is your TIME. May God grant you plenty of TIME and may you have the wisdom to give it away so that you can LIVE, LOVE and DIE in peace.

This is for you, who feel like you are not living because you are not rich, successful or famous. Those who are despondent and some desperate to get rich, successful or famous because you think that is what will make you happy. This is to remind you that all you really need is to be happy where you are right now. This is to remind you to find inner peace with yourself right now so that when the universe rewards you with riches, success and fame you will be happy and content. 

Thank you for coming to my page. Please subscribe and leave your comments on how we can make your experience better. ❤️

X. O. X. O
Ms _Curvy 

No comments:

Post a Comment